Grant Application Process
Beginning with the 2011-2012 school year, all grants sought out by individual staff members will be processed and monitored by their building administrator. This includes, but is not limited to, grants that fall into the miscellaneous category, such as grants from: Dekko Fine Arts, CELL, PLTW, H.A.N.D.S. Foundation, Whitley County Community Foundation, WalMart Teacher of the Year, etc.
Step 1: The group or individual seeking the grant fills out the WCCS Grant Request form indicating a need or opportunity. This form should be signed and dated by WCCS personnel and submitted to a WCCS administrator.
All grants/grant applications are to be written and edited by the group or individual seeking the grant and then reviewed by the building administrator prior to submission.
Step 2: The group or individual seeking the grant submits the Grant/Grant Application to the building administrator PRIOR to submission along with a copy of the WCCS Grant Request. This may be done in conjunction with Step 1 or after approval of Step 1.
If the grant will be used to purchase any technology, a WCCS Hardware Request must be filled out and sent to the Director of Technology for approval PRIOR to submission of the grant.
Step 3: If approved by the building administrator, the building administrator submits the WCCS Grant Request, approved WCCS Hardware Request (if applicable), and the Grant/Grant Application to the Superintendent for approval at least two (2) weeks before the grant application deadline.
The Superintendent either approves* or denies approval of the grant for submission.
Step 4: If approved, the group or individual seeking the grant submits the application.
Step 5: All communication regarding the grant is shared with the building administrator. The building administrator keeps a file of the grant request, application, and all communication regarding the grant.
Step 6: If grant funds are awarded, the funds should be submitted to the WCCS Business Office (Deputy Treasurer) along with a copy of the grant budget indicating how the funds should be appropriated.
Requisitions could take up to two (2) weeks to be processed, so plan accordingly.
Step 7: In order to expend grant funds, a Grant Requisition Form needs to be filled out and approved by the building administrator prior to submission. The Grant Requisition Form needs to be submitted to the WCCS Business Office (Accounts Payable) on purple paper and include the grant name and funding codes along with a quote from the vendor. All grant funds should be spent within the school year for which they were applied, unless otherwise indicated in the grant application. Building administrators will monitor that the grant funds are being spent in accordance with the grant budget and guidelines.
Step 8: The group or individual that submitted the grant is responsible to complete any reports required by the grant providers. A copy of all reports submitted should be forwarded to the building administrator and kept on file.
Step 9: Once the grant has been fully expended, the entire grant file should be forwarded to the WCCS Business Office for audit purposes. This file should include the WCCS Grant Request, WCCS Hardware Request (if applicable), Grant/Grant Application, any communication regarding the grant, expenditures, and final reports submitted.
Important things to remember and consider within the WCCS Grant Process:
- Review the grant application to be sure that WCCS meets the eligibility requirements of the grant itself.
- No additional WCCS funds will be used to match or support the grant.
- All grants that will be used to purchase technology need to have an approved WCCS Hardware Request form on file before submission.
- When budgeting funds on the grant application, be sure that appropriate expenditures are within the appropriate budget lines.
- If budgeting any type of stipend (which is a standard of $100/day), be sure to include funds associated with FICA (7.65%) and TRF (3-10%). TRF amounts will vary depending on the individual being paid and when they were hired. The WCCS Business Office (Deputy Treasurer) can provide guidance on this amount.
- Watch the deadlines for expending the grant and allow for at least two (2) weeks for the WCCS Business Office to process requisitions.
- If the steps within the grant process are not followed, the grant funds will be rejected and sent back by our WCCS Business Office (Business Manager).