What is Child Find?
- Process for locating, identifying and evaluating
- Process for informing non public school staff, parents of child find procedures
WCCS Special Education Department procedures to identify and evaluate for special education and related services apply for a student ages 3 through the school year the student turns 22. These procedures apply to students who:
- Have legal settlement within WCCS
- Attend a nonpublic school within the geographic area served by WCCS
- Are homeless or highly mobile, living in or previously lived in the WCCS geographic area, or
- Are a ward of the state and living in the geographic area served by WCCS, and
- Are suspected of being a student with a disability
The following are not considered Evaluation Procedures:
- A test or other evaluation that is administered to all students unless, before administration of the test or evaluation, consent is required from parent of all students.
- A screening of students by a teacher or a specialist to determine appropriate instructional strategies for curriculum intervention.
- A review of existing data regarding a student.
- The collection of progress-monitoring data when a student participates in a process that assesses the student’s response to scientific, research-based interventions.
A parent, teacher, school administrator, specialist or student may initiate a request for an initial educational evaluation.